The Otukpo, Benue State residence of a former Senate President, David Mark, was on Thursday gutted by fire. The house is located in the GRA area of the town.
The fire, according to workers in the compound, started from a nearby bush near the fence of the guest house and burnt two ambulances and over 15 motorcycles to ashes.
Some of the workers, who spoke to journalists on condition of anonymity, said the fire spread so fast and ignited some empty cartons in which some of the motorcycles were assembled.
They were said to have made frantic efforts to extinguish the fire but to no avail.
“We made efforts to quench the fire but the more we tried, the more it continued to spread. It was when we noticed that we could not stop it that we called the fire service so that the inferno would not consume the guest house,” the worker said.
Efforts to get reactions from Mark’s family members proved abortive as none of them was willing to talk.
The former Senate President was said to be out of town as of the time the incident occurred.